Friday, February 8, 2008

All hail the Rat King.

Yesterday, I got off at Lorimer instead of Bedford in order to spice up my life a little bit. I walked down N.9th and saw the following: an old-ish guy pulled his car over, blaring "I Will Survive," got out, and left the door open. A younger guy crossed the street and waved at him, saying "Hi." Oldy says "I just gotta dance!" Youngy says "I can see that!" and goes on his way. Oldy dances up a storm. I walked all the way down the block, turned around, and he was still dancing. Ava says: "People sit at their typewriters for hours trying to come up with a line like 'I just gotta dance!' and it never happens!"

Please look at this. Unbelievably horrifying, wonderful, hilarious, and weird.

Last night, Erin and I saw "In Bruges," the Martin McDonagh movie. It was weirdly disjointed and disappointing in some ways....it didn't feel like a cohesive whole, really, and we kept looking at each other and making awkward faces because of the totally over-the-top-in-a-new-and-bad-way insults/racial slurs/violent comments in it. Whatever. I love M. M. but I think he might be going over the deep end. Whatever. Ralph Fiennes is Voldemort. That's all.

The night before, I went to 59E59 to see Slaughterhouse-Five. I'd wanted to see it, even though the reviews weren't that great and blah blah blah. I really enjoyed it-- it was scrappy and kind of a mess and sometimes made almost no sense, but I had an infinitely more interesting time there than at the glossy, well-produced and STUPID show I saw a few days earlier at the Connelly. Of course. Some of the acting was really pretty good, though in one case I think it was just the actor being himself.

Uh....what else. The other day I was walking to work and there was this really crazy homeless guy wailing and yelling on the street. As I walked by I swear to god he yelled 'DARKWING DUUUUUUUUUUCK!'

Yesterday, when I got home, there was a page of a book right in the doorway of my building. Hoping to attach some significance to it, I picked it up tos ee what it was. It was from "German Stories and Tales," and of COURSE, it was from Death in Venice. It took a second to figure out. What this could mean, I do not know. But it was weird.

Yesterday, I met up with Julie and Nitz after their rehearsal, saw Craig for a few minutes, went to lunch with the ladies, then went to Smooch and ate cake for a few hours with Nitz. Spending money, eating, wasting time....high society for one day. Please.

Last night I went to Kettle O'Fish in the Village for round two of Middle Earth, the new BU extravaganza gathering excuse-for-fun. It was a rip-roaring success, and I saw a ton of old friends. I got a little attention for my mug shot in Time magazine, which of course made me secretly happy. Some of the MUDasMAN gang showed up, which always makes my day approx. a bajillion times better. They promised to come to The Civil Wargasm. I'm getting a little bit excited.

Carnivale continues to make my life simultaneously better and worse. That's all I can say right now.

No comments: