Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm tearing up these tarot cards.

I recently took the book (Not That You Asked), by Steve Almond, out of the library. This is the first thing I've ever read by him, though I'd always sort of had a hankering to read Candyfreak, though I worry that if I do I'll just be mad that he wrote it before me. Anyway-- one of the essays in the book is called "Blog Love" and is about this weird relationship that Almond had with a blogger who absolutely hated him and all of his work and additionally appeared to be something of a hack in all areas of his professional life. So Almond's essay was essentially about how he hates assholes, and he especially hates assholes who blog, and how most of all he hates the blogs that are a product of those labors.

A tee-hee-hee, Steven Almond. I guess I should mention that I'm not liking his book very much. I think he's kind of a jerk. Maybe this'll turn into the second hack-written blog decrying Steve Almond at every opportunity? We'll see.


I FINALLY saw No Country for Old Men last night. I love going to the movies. I have done it so infrequently since moving here-- I'm still seeing a lot of things, thank you, Netflix, but I haven't been going out. Today I say I love it, but tomorrow I could very well say 'I HATE going to the movies' and honestly mean it. Whatever. I thought the movie was great. It was so brutal and slow and unrelenting and bloody and terrifying.....wonderful. I didn't recognize Kelly MacDonald AT ALL. She was really great and so cute. I mean, SHE's cute. She wasn't cute in it. And I just love Javier Bardem more and more all the time...Maybe I'll go as Anton Chigurh for Halloween this year. HOT.

Other exciting events in my life include: attempting to buy some new clothes at Buffalo Exchange and derailing that plan by ripping one of the shirts I tried on; calmly accepting Aldo's proclamation that 'We should really keep the dishes cleaner'; getting my eyes examined; living vicariously through various friends who are doing exciting things (including but not limited to playing Karaoke Revolution); trying to re-learn EGBDF lines and going to work.

Instead of real content, here are some links.

A cute little article from the NY Times about grammar and punctuation on the subway. Does that ring your bell, or what?

The most ridiculous series of videos I have ever seen. Aldo showed them to me. They were probably everyone's favorite on YouTube about three years ago, but I'm obsessed anyway.


WAIT, WHAT?! FIDEL CASTRO JUST 'STEPPED DOWN'?!?!?!?! I just went to the nytimes.com to retrieve that link and that's what I was met with. What? The eight-grade Anna would be throwing a fucking PARTY right now.

Apparently, he says:

“I will not aspire to, neither will I accept — I repeat I will not aspire to, neither will I accept — the position of President of the Council of State and Commander in chief. It would betray my conscience to occupy a responsibility that requires mobility and the total commitment that I am not in the physical condition to offer.”


Our fearless leader wastes no time:

“The United States will help the people of Cuba realize the blessings of liberty,” [Bush] said.


Wow.


Anyway, links:

Semicolons

Spare Me My Life!

If you like Spare Me My Life!, there are more in the series. The one teaching medical emergency terms is really good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

some bloggers seem to like him.

Justin K. Rivers said...

I met Steve Almond one time. He WAS a bit of a dick, but he was funny and very good with prose.

PS I met Doctor Who. And flirted with the Chief Cheetah Person. Also saw Joel from MST3K.

No Guy Jr. sightings. BUT Guy Sr.'s co-star, bob may, who played the robot, was there. Serendipity?

can you email me civil wargasm? i'd love to read it!