Sunday, March 2, 2008

If I axe you-- excuse me-- if I ASK you to be with me, by and by...

Today was a big day of extravagance-- mostly seeing 'Rent' with my mom and her friend (and her daughter and friend) on the Great White Way.

I have to admit I was a little--okay, more than a little-- reluctant/nervous/curmudgeonly about this whole endeavor. My mom really loves Rent and I used to really love it too, though as the years roll on I love it less and less. I suspect this has something to do with attending theatre school. Pretentiotron, reporting for duty! So I was sort of feeling weird about it.

And I have to say... I was totally surprised! It affected me much, much more than I thought it was going to. The cast was really top-notch (with the exception of Roger, who was played by some not-even-cute British indie rocker who couldn't sing or act), and included, much to my surprise, the delightful Michael McElroy. I've been listening to his voice for approximately eight years (unbelievable) on the original cast recording (I should say "one and only cast recording") of Violet. For the few readers of this blog that I DIDN'T go to high school with, Violet is a truly beautiful musical that was done off b-way by Playwrights Horizons about ten years ago. We did it at SHS when I was a freshman and it was a big deal then, for me, and it's still abig deal when I think about it. It's always meant a lot to me, and seeing Michael McElroy today (he's Flick, Erin and Jess....hahaha) was wonderful in the most unexpected way.

Anyway, some parts of the show I still maintain are kinda dumb, but I can't resist all the faux-punk costumes and the jumping off tables and the singing homeless people. Michal at work finds it apparently disgusting that I should have enjoyed it, but I don't care. In a situation where I was prepared to grin and bear it for 3 hours, I'm really glad that I actually just let myself enjoy things.

Doooooooooon't worry! Dooooooon't sweat it!

(I wanted to go up to him and be like "Do you want to sing "Luck of the Draw," maybe? Just a little bit? Or how about "Bring Me To Light?")

And of course it was nice to see Jane. She bought me a purse shaped like a chicken.


Then, I went to La Ma Ma to see the closing perf. of "Imminence," a show by The Talking Band. I was unfamiliar with their work but after seeing this show I am determined to work with them. They are AWESOME. Sort of like the SITI Company combined with the best parts of Michael Kaye's Theatre Ensemble. The non-self-indulgent parts. In a good year. Ok, during Interpreter of Maladies.

Pretentiotron, REPORTING FOR DUTY!

I'm going to Boston on Wednesday. For rehearsals. A secret: I'm a little bit terrified. We'll see what happens.

That's the way it's played, brother.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Oh, man, amazing! I'm really jealous, actually. I love his voice. Jesus, though, eight years? JE-SUS.