Saturday, April 12, 2008

thought i posted this DAYS ago. didn't.

(I guess I wrote this on Saturday? Whatever. It's currently Tuesday.)

It's another beautiful day here in Williamsburg. Lots of folks on bikes, a million different varieties of ballgames going on in the park, and people wearing as little as they can without looking like total idiots. Sometimes failing that respect. (Says the girl who just went outside wearing a lime green turban/cloche from Saks circa 1965...)

Life's been pretty good lately.

Faithful friend Rinnz and I saw The All-For-Nots at the Annex in the Lower East Side. We got there way too early, of course, even after I derailed us with an unintentional detour to Avenue D (scenic, and teenagers hit on us). We alighted to the upper area to "quietly judge people," in Rinnz's words, endured a shit-tastic screamo band from Miami Beach (they kept yelling 'Miami!' as if anyone gives a fuck) whose guitar player kept waggling his finger manically while he sang. I don't know about you, but that doesn't appeal to me.

Annnnnyay, bitchiness aside....the AFN played what I thought was a great set, and people were really enthusiastic. (I briefly considered seeking out fangirls and selling them secrets. It didn't happen.) I felt like I was playing dress-up a little bit, in my snazzy hip Brooklyn Industries dress (who am I), wearing high heels, but I got over myself and even managed to dance a little bit. (I was determined to be the complete opposite of myself the last time I saw the AFN--or rather, AFTER I saw the AFN last time (meaning a wasted idiot), so I was concentrating on keeping it together, mentally AND physically... aka being a bit of a stiff.) But they sounded awesome, they really did, and it was great to see people enjoying them. I talked to Brian a little bit and he said that two of his friends had just asked him who writes Larry's blog. A tee-hee.

(Sort of on the same note-- and I'm not going to dwell on this-- there was a vitriolic blog entry about the show and the band posted a few days ago which specifically mentioned that "the band's annoying fake manager has an annoying real blog." I would be lying if said I didn't feel a momentary twinge of something akin to pride. As my friend said "Well, I mean, you wanted it to be annoying, and it is." Success? Other than that: fuck bloggers. Um, not me, though? Whatever. I'm not a real blogger.)

After that, I made my way in the misty rain to Kettle Of Fish on Christopher for another excellent installment of Middle Earth. Since it was already almost midnight, the crowd was thinning out, but we lacked in quantity we made up for in quality. Lots of fun and friends and drinks and darts....later in the night lots of pizza and fries and teenage black drag queens, not making it up, and even later, lots of creepy borderline-sexual harassment on the subway platform by a CRAZY Italian man who told me 'You're killing me slowly. I like the pain.' (Someone said: "What is it with you and these foreign guys?!" I think they can tell I'm an easy target.)

And then it's been work, work, whatever, sitting around in the park, sunshine, good people, decadence, and things like that.

I can't really complain.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Have you seen subwaycrush.com? You're gonna be on there. You and all your subway friends.