Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gorgeous holiday?

The 'lusty month of May' is turning out to be the 'tired, stressed, rainy, dismal month of May' in my book. Ugh. This weather. My boss just looked out the door and said "Freezing. Freezing and pouring." That's exactly what I want to hear.

To make things worse, I have only one episode of Twin Peaks left until the end of the series. THE END OF THE SERIES. Sure, I can watch the prequel, but it won't be the same. This is just like when I was coming to the end of Carnivale. I know these people! I love them! I want them in my life! (Yes, even the psycho killers and the slimy businessmen and the drug dealers...)

Slinky Calhoun enjoyed a banner day yesterday-- two sales in the course of a few hours! Booyah. Erin and I also indulged ourselves and ordered cheapass--but cute--business cards. Come on. We have to amuse ourselves somehow! (And now that obviously necessitates buying cases for the cards. Which means we get to shop on Etsy. Everyone wins. [I'm considering this one.])

This rain, this rain, this RAIN! Craig Lucas was the CFA commencement speaker this year-- horribly unfair, imho, as we were stuck with an incoherent artist asshole. Here's a link to his speech on the Huffington Post (?)--rife with typos and at least one inaccuracy (Schiele!), it is nonetheless a lovely, funny, and hopeful speech that I would have been glad to hear while sitting on the stage of the Hunt, wringing my hands ceaselessly.

The dictionary.com word of the day is "Potemkin village."
Potemkin village \puh-TEM(P)-kin\, noun:
An impressive facade or display that hides an undesirable fact or state; a false front.

I have never heard this term in my life.


I want to curl up in bed with Slinky and a cup of tea.

No comments: