Thursday, May 1, 2008

Penguins keep me WARM.

I'm drinking cheap white wine from Trader Joe's and chewing on an uncooked dumpling wrapper that I bought in Chinatown the other day. I DID buy them to actually make dumplings, and I DID do that the other day, but in a fit of nostalgia I ate this one raw-- Liam and I used to buy packages of them at Super 88. I remember one time, freshman year, my minifridge contained ONLY cans of seltzer and a package of dumpling wrappers. Delish.

So, yeah, this is my third entry today, but sometimes, that's how things go.

It's "Artwalk" time on Bedford, which apparently means that a bunch of stores have things hanging in their windows. Some of them are pretty cool-- a bunch of bubble-wrapped twisty pink neon tubes in the window of Brooklyn Industries, a crazy 6-minute video loop in the window of Peter's entitled "Suicide Nun" (I think she's a suicide bomberomg edgy!!)...some are gross, like the collection of chewed gum in a corner store. On the whole, it's fun.

There's a coffee/dessert place on Bedford b/w 8th+9th that, until a few days ago, was called "Sweet Farm." (I've never been there, but my mom had a conversation with this woman who was in the Look Book in NY Mag there. She walks around Wburg in colorful clothing, talking to everyone. She relates in no way to Sweet Farm. This isn't particularly relevant.) ANYway, the point is that as of a few days ago, overnight, Sweet Farm was no more, there was newspaper on the windows, and the sign had been changed to a red one with a picture of an ice cream dish on it that says 'Penny Licks.'

Penny Licks? What? I got a peek inside when the door was open and it looks like they're changing the decor so it looks kinda like an oldey-timey ice cream parlor. Our Town, anyone?

So, it's weird when stuff happens overnight, but it's especially weird that this place went from being the unappealingly-named "Sweet Farm" (conjures up images of candy in hay for me-- not something I want to think about) to the even-MORE alarmingly-titled "Penny Licks." My first mental image was of licking pennies-- mmmmmmm. I discussed this with a comrade of mine who offered the image of a girl (named Penny) running around, licking everything.

I've been scaring the crap out of my myself by watching Twin Peaks late at night. Every time something scary happens, I have to keep watching so the image of, say, Sheryl Lee with blood on her face, screaming demonically OR a somber little kid making creamed corn jump around the room ISN'T the last thing I see before I try to go to sleep. This plan always fails, because there are no placid images on which to call it a night. I'm not complaining; I'm just terrified. I am also falling steadily in love with Kyle McLachlan-- I don't see how that's possible, but it's happening. (I'm also sort of falling in love with Sherilynn Fenn.)

I start my week-long engagement as a wrangler for a pretty sweet movie star tomorrow. (I guess I'll take no chances and leave him anonymous. He's Irish. That's all I'll say.) I'm a little nervous. I am not sure what exactly I'm going to be doing. I've got to turn on the charm.

In one final piece of alarming news: I'm worried that one of my teeth is going to fall out. I'll keep you posted. I know you're worried, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Irish? This wouldn't be Gabriel Byrne by any chance??? Please tell us all about your adventures! Everyone says he is the nicest guy.