Tuesday, May 13, 2008

RIP BR

Rauschenberg died. It is somewhat false of me to mourn this, since his art actually means nothing to me-- but the SITI Company's 'bobrauschenbergamerica' was and is one of the theatre pieces that has meant the most to me in my life.

So, by way of tribute, here's my one of my favorite parts, thank you, Charles Mee, of that script:

But, still, it often seems to me almost miraculous
how we can put things here in the museum
and ordinary folks
my mom and dad and my own neighbors
and I myself
will come to see things
sometimes things that I myself find completely incomprehensible
and really offensive
people will come to our museum
and think: oh, that's interesting
or, oh, that's stupid
but they don't really hold it against the show
they just move on and look at something else and think
oh that's cool.
And I wonder:
how do we get away with that?
And I think well, we are a free people
that's why
and we understand that
in a way maybe other people in the world don't
we like an adventure
often we might think
well, that's a piece of junk
but that's how this fellow sees the world
and there's a certain pleasure in seeing things from his point of view
we are a patient people
no matter what you hear people say
and a tolerant people
and a fearless, open people
that's how it is for us

I think that's how it is to be an American.

We're all unique.
It's a precious thing to compare ourselves to nothing else.
This is my working attitude.
I don't feel shame in my joy.


I started out here knowing what I meant to say
and now I have to say
I don't know what I said.

But I'd just like to welcome you
and let you know
we're all glad to be here with you tonight
to share this with you
and we hope you have a swell evening

1 comment:

liam said...

I need to sit down and read that script. The more time that passes by since I saw it at the ART, the more it means to me, the more I think it changed me. I don't know if that's relevant to Bob Rauschenberg's passing, but oh well.

Also, while desperately skimming the script on Mee's website a few weeks ago to find a good monologue for me (which I'd never felt I'd found before), I happened on the most wonderful passage which worked perfectly. It's Allen speaking, starting with "You think you see the present. But you don't. You never do. All you ever see is the past"- it's that whole section about looking in the mirror and seeing a younger you because you're looking into the past. Kind of a la Meghan Dalton's Ensemble II piece, I think.

Anyway, RIP BR.