Thursday, May 29, 2008

ZACH BRAFF = DO NOT POVERTY

I went out for coffee this morning a few blocks from my apt., to a place I've been a handful of times before. It's super hip, but it's dark and cool, has a pressed-tin ceiling and a light fixture that looks like a huge version of Rosemary's tannis root pendant (geeeeek). It's quiet in the morning and there are nice windows through which to people-watch. Whatever. The point is: what was playing at this cafe this morning?

The GARDEN STATE SOUNDTRACK.

I heard "The Only Living Boy in New York" and said "I used to really love this song, but then it was in Garden State and that wrecked it for me." Then I silently gnashed my teeth about Garden State for a minute. Conversation resumed, and then, oh yeah, here come The Shins, oooh-ooooh-ooooh-ing away. What?! Hipsters willing to admit that they saw Garden State?! My head exploded. Also because it made me feel like I was back in freshman year of school. And the fact that that feels like a long time ago is making my head explode again, right now. (I can't really articulate my rage about Garden State....the only thing I can say is that it makes as much sense for me to hate Garden State the way I do and for the reasons I do as it does for Erin and me to think that us seeing Paul Rudd on the day of Heath Ledger's death somehow contributed to that event. NO SENSE AT ALL, and yet....the feelings exist!)

I think this blog has 5 readers, and I know that I've already told this story to 3 of them, but I'll share it again, because it's funny. I have a Google alert set up for The All-For-Nots, and a vast majority of the hits are links to the episodes posted on various sharing sites-- YouTube, Revver, Truveo, whatever. And it always comes up with a link, the title of the ep, and a one-line quote from the ep., in lieu of a summary or anything. The line for this week's ep "The Shtop" is "I want a muffin."

I got an alert a few days ago that had a link to "The Shtop" on some foreign site. It had obviously been through a few rough translations from English and back again, and the resulting tagline was: "I poverty a muffin."

Zing!

I'm gonna go bike to Fort Greene. Yikes!

No comments: