Thursday, December 18, 2008

Unresolved.

Yesterday, I took myself to 59E59 to see Rough Magic's 'Improbably Frequency,' a show I had seen four years earlier (JESUS CHRIST) in Dublin.  This was when I was visiting Ben, during Christmas break of my sophomore year, and we were looking for a show to see.  He had free tickets to a new play that looked super boring-- living room set, young actors wearing t-shirts-- so we opted for the 'unwaged' tickets at the Abbey for this show that we knew nothing about.
It turned out to be one of the best and most memorable theatrical experiences of my life.  It's a musical about the Irish Free State during WWII, and though that sounds like just about the worst premise ever, it is insanely silly, inventive, hilarious, creative, exciting....I'll just go on and on, so I won't. It's got historical characters-- Erwin Schroedinger (played as a sex-crazed maniac in ledehosen); the poet John Betjeman (in a straw boater, carrying a teddy bear);and writer Myles na gCopaleen (aka Flann O'Brien). It's got shamrocks shaped like swastikas. It's got the most delightful music.  A religious service for Guiness. Sex in verse.  EVERYTHING AMAZING.

Anyway, I heard it was coming to NY and I freaked out and couldn't wait to see it. I had a few moments of being nervous-- what if it wasn't as good as I remembered it being? 

BUT IT WASSSSSSSSSSSS oh my god it WAS.  I was so delighted to be seeing it again after all this time, and it was just how I remembered it, with the exception of a few cast changes.  The bluehairs around me were half happy, half asleep-- and the quartet next to me left at intermission. Because they were idiots.  It's just so wonderful, and contains so many elements that I can only hope to have in all of my future theatrical projects.  I admire this company immensely, and am so happy that they managed to bring the show over here.  In my half-imagined, cockamamie schemes that I liked to think about late at night, the ones where I go to England or Scotland to work....I think I should include room for Rough Magic.  I mean, why not?

So, I say, GO! if you are able. It runs 'til January 4th in New York.  It's fucking great.

The week+ since my birthday has been good.  I shot a short film earlier this week, in the most incredible apartment I've ever been in.  Enormous windows, through which you can see: the Brooklyn Bridge. My god, it was beautiful.  I was hypnotized by the lights from the cars going over the bridge. I don't know how anyone could actually live there.  The shoot was fun, if totally insane and hectic.  The writer/director, a guy I know from school, did a nice job holding it together under pressure, and the other actor was a nice guy who was amenable to lots of goofing around.  That's basically all I need in a collaborator.  Well, maybe not ALL.  But I wore a crazy red dress and drank a lot of fake gin and had a grand old time.  Somewhere along the way, perhaps on Tuesday night when I walked around for ten minutes in the rain at 3 AM looking for a cab in DUMBO (not a good idea), I got sort of sick. Which blows.  But at least I'm going home soon and can be sick there.

Going home is a source of stress, of course. I don't know when I'm going to be able to go back to the Electric City, or how long I can stay.  And I have to make up my mind about New Year's Eve-- I've been thinking I might go to Boston, but I'm too lazy to figure it out. Even though my horoscope told me finalize travel plans the other day. Eekerz!

Holiday parties are building up; I hate to admit it, but Midtown looks beautiful; my shopping is not done. Ah, Christmas.

No comments: