Monday, December 31, 2007

hackneyed 2007 wrap-up post

So...New Year's? Not my current favorite holiday.

Though I AM looking forward to this new year, very, very much. 2007 has been a long fucking year. Lots of good stuff happened, lots of lousy stuff happened... I think it's safe to say that it was definitely my most dramatic, action-packed year yet. I don't know. I experienced some of my proudest moments ever-- WTTAN, BUSTAMFOP in general, graduation-- and some of my worst personal-life moments to date. I turned 22. I moved. All sorts of things.

Anyway, here's something to ring out the old:

Hark! From the tomb a doleful sound
Mine ears attend the cry
Ye living men, come view the ground
Where you must shortly lie!

Princes, this clay must be your bed
In spite of all your towers
The tall, the wise, the reverend head
Must lie as low as ours.

Great God, is this our certain doom?
And are we still secure?
Still walking downward to the tomb
And yet prepared no more.

A song of cheer and happiness from the Sacred Harp. Really, though, Plenary (162 for the dorks) is one of my favorite tunes to sing, and we sang it twice today-- once in a small sing we had at home, and once on the street as we were leaving dinner. It's a gorgeous melody, and a familiar one, and those words really mean something, I'm not sure what, to me. They've stuck with me since the first time I sang that song, which is probably just about a year ago now.

I guess to conclude, if this what I'm doing-- this past year has taught me that nothing is more important than surrounding myself with people that I love. It's the only thing that makes everything worth it. And I'm finding out how hard it is to do that sometimes, but also how the payoff is always a great one.

Here's to 2008-- and what I hope will be a year of unprecedented love, courage and inspiration-- a year of being easier on myself, and trying to be more gentle in all that I do. And, of course, a year of... productivity!

Happy New Year, ye brave, happy few.

No comments: