Monday, January 21, 2008

Oh.

I am reminded lately of one of my favorite parts from bobrauschenbergamerica. It's repeated by two couples- Allen & Carl, and later, Susan & Wilson. It keeps drifting through my brain.


Blah blah blah. Let Charles Mee say it:


ALLEN
And I think
if you think a person's agreeable and warmhearted
then I think there's something there you can't explain
that gives you real
delight.

CARL
Oh.

ALLEN
I find
you give delight to me.

CARL
Oh. Well.
That's what I'd hope for more than anything.

ALLEN
So would I.

CARL
And you're not sorry about it?

ALLEN
How do you mean?

CARL
That you find delight in someone
who doesn't seem to you in any other way
desirable
who doesn't perhaps have those qualities
that you can count on
for, you know, the solid, long-term kind of thing.

ALLEN
I would just take delight long-term.

CARL
Oh.
So would I.

No comments: