Sunday, January 20, 2008

When I try to make eye contact, my face pays no attention. It just turns and looks the other way!

At any given second lately, here's what you'd find if my forehead had a ticket-tape printer of the thoughts behind it:

LONDON LONDON LONDON LONDON LONDON  (repeat on and on and on and....)

Yeah. Uh, I'd like to go back to Jolly Olde. Anyone want to help the cause?

I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  I think it's because of the season-- this is the time of the year that I was away and sometimes I like to crack open the old journal and see what I was doing, then.  I said the other day that maybe I'm so nostalgic for that time because right now my life is so uncertain, with nothing as a given, and no real clear direction-- and the semester that I was in London, I barely had to worry about ANYTHING. Other than 'How am I getting to Ireland next weekend?' I didn't have to worry about school, because there was so much time for that after I got home, and I didn't have to worry about graduating because I had a whole year left, and I didn't really have to worry about a job or anything because that's how it was.  So maybe I'm so nostalgic not only for England as a thing itself but for the feeling of not-panic that I felt for my semester over there.  I could use some of that now.  I could also use a weekend getaway to Dublin.  Or anywhere else.

But! I'm going to exotic and glamorous Christiana, Pennsylvania, next weekend for the Keystone Convention. I am thrilled.  I will see so many of my singing friends from Boston that I haven't seen since god-knows-when....the NYC All-Day? Really?! And I haven't been to PA since, I think, the days of Music in the Parks and Dorney Park.  And that brown limo with the giant stuffed animals in it. (Did I make that up? Rinnz?)

Anyway....misdirected nostalgia.  Leah had a line in her play the other day that went something like: "Memory and fantasy are the Viet Cong of the mind." I laughed.

2 comments:

Erin Mallory said...

Um, let me just say a general, "DUH" to your entire post. I spend all of my time wishing I was still in Dublin. Literally.

Erin Mallory said...

Oh, and the brown limo with the stuffed animals is NOT made up.