Wednesday, January 30, 2008

People are hilarious.

I know I've already posted today's crock of nonsense, but two silly things happened in such rapid succession that I had to post about them.

This guy just called La MaMa to ask about the content of this Saturday's "Coffeehouse Chronicles." This series is usually people coming in and talking about the work that they did at La MaMa in the good old days, or what they're doing now, or whatever. Sometimes a Q&A. Stuff like that. So this guy calls and says 'What's going on in this Coffeehouse Chronicles this Saturday? Will there be a performance or something?' And I told him no, it's just one of the founders of Mabou Mines coming in to talk about her work, etc.

And he's like "Well, I thought it might be a good thing for me to go to...because I thought it might put me in the mood. I'm going to see "Happy Days" that night and I thought it might be good before that. You know "Happy Days"? The Beckett play? Yeah, I guess you work at La MaMa, you must know Beckett. Well, then I wanna ask your opinion on something. So I'm going to "Happy Days" and then afterwards I'm invited to this dance party. And I thought maybe it's a good idea to go to both because one is so contracting and the other is so expansive. What's your opinion? Do you think it's a good idea to go to both?"

I had no idea if he was for real or not so I said "What exactly is it that you were invited to?" And he says "Oh, it's some sort of trance-dancing party. Very nouveau-hippieish kinda thing, you know?" I told him maybe it'd be a good thing to do and he said "Thanks for that tip. It's a good idea, don't you think?"

Then, this funny couple in the lobby asked me if I was cold and I said that it's warmer here than in my apt., so I wasn't going to complain. The woman was HORRIFIED and said "You have to call 311. That's against the law. Where do you live?" When I said Brooklyn, the guy was like "Oh! Well, then, there's nothing to do." And she said "No, come on, she can't afford to live in New York City! She moves all the way to Brooklyn AND she can't have heat? That's just not fair!" She was a little bit Cher in Moonstruck. Pre-makeover.

No comments: