Sunday, January 6, 2008

You're the leader of the galaxy! Show a little taste!

Despite an okay morning of doing nothing and cuddling in bed with Lucifer (I don't mean the cat, either), today quickly turned into the kind of day that only Elvis Costello can make worth it. I think about the following quote on days like this-- this is from a piece by Patton Oswalt about doing yoga and shooting guns in the same day:

"[It] was the biggest “You got chocolate in my peanut butter!” moment I’ve had so far in my life. Guns and yoga are French fries dipped in a milkshake. Scotch and ginger ale. Elvis Costello’s “This Year’s Model” after a bad breakup. Reruns of “Law and Order” and having no life: they’re good together."

It made me laugh when I read it (bus to showcase, incidentally....very, VERY incidentally), and now whenever I'm in a mood and turn to E.C. for help, I think about it. Anyway, some of the aforementioned album and I was pretty okay again. It's so angry and when I listen to it, I think I feel worse about whatever I'm upset about for a little...but then feel wholly better. As if I needed to get really pissed to be okay. I don't know. All I know is that happiness is Elvis shrieking in my ear at a too-high volume.

Last night on the way home from work I had a silly encounter with these two slighty-drunk guys. I was walking to the train and I yawned, and as I was doing so I made accidental eye contact with this guy in a very Slavs! outfit. He wove his way over to me and said "You've got four cavities. I could see them when you yawned." I told him "I've only got two" and they apparently took this as feistiness, which they liked. This guy sort of shook my hand and laughed and then kissed me on the cheek, saying "A kiss because you're beatiful. You're really beautiful. You look like Nicole Kidman, did anyone ever tell you that?" I said that yes, people had. Who knew there were so many people who don't actually know what Nicole Kidman looks like? Right. Anyway, things got sillier from here with his friend trying to get in on the action but not being half as stupidly charming. Cossack-chic (yeah, he can't really be a Cossack AND from Slavs! but I don't give a shit) told me "You've got knockout beauty. I bet guys are going crazy for you." On my negative, he said "Okay, maybe you just don't know it."

Now, call me anything you want, but...I am told I am pretty almost exclusively by drunks or crazies on the street. Do I worry? Nah. I've always liked it, and I always will. Probably.

Anyway, this went on for some time, him asking me if I like "Those guys with the tight jeans and the stringy hair, those hipsters" or if I was more into "Guidos. Or brothers." (His friend was black.)

I came away from the encounter with a momentary lift in self-whatever, AND, best of all....two wrinkled photocopies of this joker's headshot and resume. Don't get me started. This life.

Work is work. I read and sit around. What do I have to complain about? I talked astrology and cards and whatnot with Valois and watched SVU. Please.

New Presidential obsession: Franklin Pierce in general. Second New Presidential Obsession: Zachary Taylor's death. Third: James Buchanan's bachelor status and the way that Bunny Breckinridge is distantly involved with him.

Ain't that peculiar.

No comments: