Thursday, February 28, 2008

I AM SUPERNUMERARY!

Today, I was an extra!

Luckily, I've watched "Extras," so I know what to do.

Jokes, jokes. But no-- I was a bonafide "background artist" for The All-For-Nots and it was a ton of fun. First I sat around and chatted awkwardly with nice people who were there for a variety of reasons. Then one of the crew guys told me I looked like Molly Ringwald. Then I was a "stand-in" so light could be set for a scene. (My grandparents' old neighbor, this crazy man named Ed, was a wannabe actor whose two claims to fame were 1) a Key Bank commercial and 2) the fact that he had been Robert Redford's stand-in for some local shooting on The Horse Whisperer. He managed to bring it up a lot.)

Then I sat with two other extras in a booth behind the cast and did a lot of "hub-bub, hub-bub"-ing a la Catherine O'Hara in Waiting for Guffman. We had fake drinks.

My glory moment came later when I was watching a beer pong game (YEAHHHHH PONG) and then was overcome by my sudden, intense desire to go up close to where the band was playing and make eyes at the sexy female singer. This was in order to help show the shift in focus of the rowdy beer-pong crowd from their game to the band. (World-class actor though I am, I had trouble pretending to be interested in the fake beer-pong game for even a second.) Me and another girl (who knows Anais Koivisto AND just worked with Tasso in Oregon, of COURSE) got to do this and it was silly and wonderfu. And she is super cute, so....

Mostly it was just really fun for me to be on a set. Because I've never done that before....excluding, of course, when I LIVED on a set for two weeks the summer after senior year. (See file: "Dirty People." What? You can't find it? Pity. There were no coffee filters full of dirt today, let me tell you!) It really was quite an operation. I just sat, wide-eyed, most of the time. And listened to other extras say hilarious things like "Yeah, I used to live in Rever Beach. But now I live here because a few months ago, I got a DUI and my license got taken away. And I don't need a car to live here. So...."

The rest of the day was somewhat less eventful. I managed to make going in stores in Greenpoint, watching Lost and The Office, and eating soup take...oh...approximately 6 hours.

Last night, Erin and I went to the recently-renamed North Six (now the Music Hall of Williamsburg, like I wanna say THAT) to see Apollo Sunshine. Now, I have an intense, deep, abiding love for those dirty Western MA hippies, but I have to admit, however much it pains me, that last night, they were a little disappointing. I know there's no point to them just playing their old stuff over and over again, but.....they play so few shows that by the time I get to see them, I've just got a colossal hankering to hear "Magnolia" live. (Which the DID play. Thank god.) There was some asshole in the back of the room who kept yelling things like "I like your other stuff better!" and thought I secretly agreed, I would never yell it like an asshole. The first song they played featured an autoharp, which was AMAZING. But the ubiquitious pedal steel didn't make even one appearance. And the fact that they were opening meant that they couldn't do any outrageous James Brown/ "Today is the Day" medleys like I've heard them do as an encore in the past. They were just in and out in about 45 min. Sigh. A disappointing introduction for Rinnz, too. Luckily, we only had to pay half of the ticket price bc a nice lady gave me a ticket that she didn't need and we just split Erin's. Good. Frugality. Good.

Tomorrow, I will swim and return to the working week.

Note: Don't eat your roommate's potato chips at eleven thirty at night. It will only result in stomach ache.

C'est la vie. Ceci est bon!

1 comment:

Erin Mallory said...

I have some stand-in experience as well. haha. Soon my claim to fame will be being Meredith Vieira's stand-in. Ah, the sweet life.