Thursday, December 4, 2008

You must have put something in my coffee.

This was an unexpectedly fun, if frantic-feeling, night.

After a weird, unproductive, and bad-mood-inducing day of work in the box office, I ate an arepa and bought too much produce at the Greenmarket (about 7 pounds of apples, some carrots, some brussells sprouts, and the world's largest turnip (?!)). Here's where things get REALLY exciting, though (more exciting than turnips?!): I joined Ava at the Access Theatre to see "Call Me Anne, " Phillip Taratula's one-man show about Anne Heche in her Celestia phase. I first saw him do anything as Anne Heche five years ago (JESUS) at BU as part of his senior thesis. I think he's an extremely talented actor and is always a real pleasure to watch. I hope lots of people come and enjoy his work and that he gets rich and famous. Or whatever he wants.

I then left Ava and went to the Williamsburg beer garden to see Carla and Slavko's band, Panonian Wave, play. Some other work folks were there and we danced the hell out of ourselves. It's like gypsy-punk-Balkan and it's a lot of fun. When they were finished playing, a drunk guy pulled a Barney Stinson on me: Beckoned me over, saying "Excuse me?" and when I went over (WHEN WILL I LEARN?!), said "Do you know my friend Anthony?" and tried to hand me off to his drunker friend. Needless to say, these gents had the "best" seats in the house-- as Anthony so eloquently put it, "We were watching...the dancing....." I got out of that as fast as possible.

But! A night of dancing was a good move,I think-- I danced some of my frantic-ness away. I'm acting kind of spazzy lately, and I think it's because I'm nervous about my reading on Tuesday. I'm totally aware that in the scheme of things, a reading is not a big deal at all. Also, the only people who are gonna come will be people who like me and know me and who probably won't be too critical. I guess this is why I'm getting nervous-- because it's just gonna be people I care about, I want it to be great, I want them to really like it. This is not a healthy goal. The thing to think about is that I'm gonna hear my play, I'll hopefully learn some good things about it or what I need to do to it in the future, and then we'll all go raise a glass and bid another year of my youth farewell. This is my hope. And I hope to see you there.

BOOYAH. Now to bed. I keep feeling the urge to quote Moe Axelrod lately. I don't know if that's good or bad. I'll leave you with:


Baby, if you had a dog, I'd love the dog.

No comments: