Friday, October 5, 2007

Never Forgive. Never Forget. (Plus stamps.)

So, something of GREAT importance has been brought to my attention. And that something is...The Sweeney Todd Trailer! (AHHH!) I awoke to find that multiple good friends had posted a link on my facebook wall. They knew.

I watched it, and even though the quality was sort of crappy and I couldn't really hear that much (thanks, computer, thanks, construction), I got super excited. I just can't wait. Liam and Meghan and I have talked a lot about the jealousy/protectiveness/I-liked-it-first feelings that are more than likely to surface around the time of the movie's release. And I know it'll happen, just like when Rufus started getting really popular, and I felt like I had some ownership over him. Or, like, how I feel compelled to say that Seth Rogen was always my favorite on Undeclared, which in my mind somehow means that I like him more or that I am cooler than you because you just like Knocked Up. (Which is stupid because I didn't even watch Freaks and Geeks until after Undeclared was already off the air, so I can't actually say shit! He WAS my favorite, but, please. Come on.)

Meghan said that when we go we'll be like Kristen Wiig's Penelope character on SNL, just walking around the movie theatre saying things like "I guess all I have to say is I wrote Sweeney Todd, it's not a big deal, I wrote the music and the lyrics...I'm in it too, I play Sweeney Todd....um, Sweeney Todd was my real dad, this is actually about me and my family..."Things like that.

Here's the trailer for anyone who wants to think for themselves.

Another interesting item for today is that Mauritius has opened on Broadway. Theresa Rebeck is the only female playwright with a new play on Broadway this season. Isn't that terrible? I think that's just insane. The NY Times review was mostly nice, I guess, though it said that the formula was a little tired and that her characters have almost all been written before, and in most cases, have been written better before. There are a lot of comparisons to David Mamet and specifically American Buffalo, which happened when the play was at the Hunt in Boston. Honestly, I don't remember a lot of my specific opinions about the show. (I mostly remember how Tasia and Craig and I were in the balcony of the Wimberly and it was freezing up there...and how on the way, we got to go into the weird church in Copley Sqaure and listened to some men singing with high voices...until the church Nazi intimidated us into leaving.)

Anyway, Alison Pill is in the show here, and man, do I envy her. This, and before this, she was in Blackbird, which everyone blew up about though I think it's one of the stupidest plays I've ever seen, and before that Lieutenant of Inishmore (at which she frowned at curtain call, so I'll always have a little bit of a grudge against her), and she's also got a big old movie with Steve Carrell coming out (Sondre did the soundtrack!)....and she's oh, um, I think, 22 years old. Must be nice.

I liked this part of the NYT review: "Mr. Baker and Mr. Abraham never quite dispel the impression that you have met more vividly drawn versions of their characters before. Mr. Abraham appears to be doing a mild variation on Ben Kingsley’s attention-getting portrait of a sadistic crime boss in the movie “Sexy Beast.” Aiie! Here's the review.

That's all the pretentious reportage (bahhh) I can handle this morning.

No comments: