Saturday, December 1, 2007

PANDER-A DOT COM

I had forgotten how awesome pandora.com is. Product placement. Good.

I went to Union Hall last night with Rinnz to see Meowskers. We caught the last few minutes of Quintus' set, and they were really pretty awesome. They play with Meowskers all the time, but I had never heard them until now. I chatted with the singer after the set...he asked me about theremins (it makes me sound a LOT cooler to leave that statement out of context, so that's just what I'm going to do). Meowskers sounded great. Ben was there. (Ben, do you read this? I think Clam and Thom are my only readers. I'm not worried.) So that was a little awkward. Though we had a nice conversation about the impending release of Sweeney Todd....Ben had good perspective on just how much this movie means to me.

After, I went to Nitzi's and we watched some super old-school Felicity. The pilot is so nineties, it's unbelievable. And of course that means it's so enjoyable.

The Lower East Side sing was PACKED today- at least 30 people! Wonderful. Lots of new faces. Aldo was sick and couldn't go, so I was in charge of setting up the lights and stuff. (Someone asked me if I was a "technician." Why didn't I say yes?) Made me feel important. I had a chance to catch up on a lot of gossip with Lauren, which is always good. We sang "Schenectady," and my standard homesick musings found listeners in the newbies.

I've been reading scripts all night. A lot of what I've been reading takes place in a car...which makes me think about my own car opus, The Civil Wargasm. And I've been thinking about The Civil Wargasm a lot lately, for many reasons-- not the least of which being the fact that I found the perfect guy to play Robert Lee Hodge. He was in the MUDasMAN shows. He just moved to California. But when he's back....oh BOY. I better rewrite the damn thing before then. I gave the script as it is now to this actor and he thought it was funny. Good. Who wants to play Tony?

But this writing thing.... I feel so stupid about it sometimes. I mean, I tell a bajillion people, random people that I meet wherever, that I'm "an actor, yeah...and actor and a writer." And god knows I'm not doing any acting (though Common Thread asked me to be in their new show-- I haven't given them an answer yet), and I don't know when I will....so I always have these dreams that something will just click within me and that I'll be able to drop all the affectations ("Why don't I write on a typewriter? I can only use felt-tip pens!") and actually WORK, work HARD, and just write and get stuff done. And it doesn't matter if it's crap, because as Ed Wood tells us, when you rewrite a script, it just gets better and better...but I have to write the crap first so that then I can make it better. And I have so many ideas, or at least I used to, or at least I think I used to.....but when I sit down at the computer it's all I do to number the pages without giving up on myself.

Ugh.

I just want to listen to Rhapsody in Blue all day.

No comments: